Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Not so Ancient History!

Who was the First Love of your Life?

Our eyes met across a crowded bench and it was love at first sight. He was the blonde on the end of the bench. See our eyes meeting! Our families were old friends (well we had known each other for about 5 years!). We all lived in Memphis Tennessee and the year was about 1974. His name was Kenny although I hear he goes by Ken now, go figure. Kenny was very handsome as you can tell by this photo. We were the best of friends and spent a lot of time together. When my family was getting ready to move to Houston I can remember crying so hard at the thought of leaving Kenny. I climbed a tree and hid from my parents so that I wouldn't have to leave. Of course being only 6 I didn't have a lot of options. I remember that as we were leaving Kenny and I went around the side of the house and kissed me! So sweet.

His family would come out to Utah every year of so for vacation and I would always be giddy and giggly and we would always share a goodbye kiss! This romance would continue right up until we were about 11 and it would actually start to count as a real kiss! We lost contact for a few years. In high school we became pen pals and I learned that he loved gymnastics and he eventually got a scholarship to the Y in gymnastics. We actually went on 1 real date in college when I asked him to come to a sorority party. The next memory I have of him was going to his wedding reception and when he caught my eye as I was waiting in line he got that familiar grin on his face as he loudly announced to his bride and all around us "This is Kelli! The first girl I ever kissed!" I still look forward to his family Christmas card every year to hear how he is doing and see his latest cute picture!

Aahh. Kenny.

8 comments:

Haley and Mitch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie said...

It's so cool that you two are still in touch. A first kiss at 11, huh? I never would have suspected...

Teacher Preacher said...

Kelli, This really took me by surprise that you liked Kenny so much and that you kissed so often. How does a mother know so little about her children? Even at five you liked boys--that is why you are surrounded by them now. What fun this blog is and now it it becoming personal history. Great idea. Love, Mom

Kelli said...

Really Mom. Once a year is really not that much. Just ask Dave.

Caroline said...

Kelli I can't believe you said that to your mom. You are so funny. I wish I could remember this party where Ken was attending. Of course there were so many boys back then....

Brenny said...

You guys make me laugh! Anyway, such a cute story. Thanks for sharing...

Jacqui said...

That is cute. i'm glad dave's not jealous at all.

A. said...

After the discussion the other night I checked again. In all the times I've seen that picture, I always thought Kenny was the red-head next to you. I'm glad I got it straight!