Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Holiday in August!

I wake up every year on August 1st and announce to anyone who will listen (thanks Joe-Joe!) that it is My Birthday Month! All my life I used to joke that August was the only month without a major holiday in it and that someday when I had fulfilled my destiny that my birthday would become the August holiday. Suffice it to say having my family and loved ones practice this eventuality wears thin on them! The young women were good sports though singing to me every week! (This month is such a special one. It's birthday time for you....) It was really only one. My husband gets a bit tired of doing all the cooking, cleaning, shopping, dishes and such but really it is my birthday month! Oh wait he does that every month! Ha-ha. Just kidding Mom. I help. Sometimes. Back to the holiday. I am not sure what to call it yet but already practice for this celebration has begun. School started on my birthday. The boys say that the best gift they can give me is to leave me alone for several hours. It sure didn't seem like several hours. My family has a tradition that they call each other on their birthdays to say "hi" and "glad you're around". Sometimes someone forgets (that's ok you guys, I only cried for a few minutes) but that is part of the fun. We get together every now and then and say "So, who forgot you?" It really helps with the family unity thing.
Don't read this next part if you think I only write about sad stuff.
I mean it Tricia!
This tradition also made for a sad few minutes on my birthday. My dad, you see, used to be the first to call. He would sometimes call at 5:00 in the morning in order to be the first. It was horrible. I remember telling him I was going to take my phone off the hook. Anyway when I finally sat down at about 10:30 am. I couldn't figure out why I was so sad. Then the realization hit me and I cried out "My dad didn't call me for my birthday!" I cried for a while over that one. I will miss him telling the story about my birth and the poor man who had been in the waiting room all night waiting for the birth of his child and how I came in a few hours. I will miss him telling me the story of Mom asking if he had seen me yet and when she commented about how beautiful I was he went back to the nursery because he was sure they had shown him the wrong baby. Aw, Dad. I missed your stupid early morning call.You may read again, free from emotion. Tricia don't say I didn't warn you.

The other tradition that we fight but secretly must like is that Mom makes us all go around the circle and tell each other why we love the birthday person. I told Dave that I wasn't going to let her do that this birthday. I didn't want it. I wasn't in a good place for it. (what in the world does that mean, anyway?) Despite my protests it happened anyway and thanks to my sweet family I did feel very loved. I really should have written them all down so I could read them whenever I needed a little pick me up. Let me see if I can remember them...
  • Mitch: I love Kelli because she makes a mean meatloaf.
  • Haley: I love Kelli because she gave me $5 for a movie. Once. A long time ago.
  • Alli: I love Kelli so much I put her on my Do Not Call List. Teasing Alli.
  • Sara: I love Kelli because she is the best kite maker. Ever.
  • Brad: I love Kelli because she has blue eyes.
  • Brandon: I love Kelli because she knows movie lines from Star Wars.
  • Tricia: I love Kelli because her legs don't look as good as mine.
  • Mom: I love Kelli because she does a good job keeping plants alive.

Aren't they wonderful! Can you see know why I love my birthday month so much! Andrew and Jenn were missing but don't worry I will hit them up later!Josh took this picture. Two questions. Can you tell I spent a good hour crying? Be honest. yeah. I thought so. Second question what is up with pointing my toes like that. I did it here also. Strange. Goodbye August! I will miss you! Dave won't.

11 comments:

Jme said...

That is so funny! I love the story about your dad going back the the nursery! Classic! Hope you had a good one!

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Happy (belated)Birthday Kelli! Thanks for sharing your fun memories.

A. said...

Not as strange as a picture of Mr. Barker! Love the cute pictures. Although, it is amazing how as you get older your memory fails you. I had no idea that in 10 years I would be so senile that I can't even remember conversations accurately! Love you!

Teacher Preacher said...

Wow Kelli you are quite the humorous writer. I guess my mind is failing me because I don't remember any of the reasons that we love you that you listed anyway. I loved the pictures and the comments. Keep writing.

Todd and Melissa said...

Kelli, you always make me laugh (and cry)! How do you do that? I love your birthday "month." I think that is so funny!

Todd and Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacqui said...

Yahoo! My wish was granted for your birthday.

I love Kelly because she is the most enthusiastic person about everything she's passionate about.

Happy Birthday!

Sheri said...

I love Kelly because she is still willing to celebrate her birthday!! You are quite a bit younger than me... but not enough that I don't admire you for still celbrating with enthusiasm!! I'm sure your Dad was missing your b-day all too!:( Hugs to you friend!

Angie said...

Happy Birthday Kelli!

I love you because you're AWESOME! And because your blogs lets us keep in touch. I missed you so much during those long lonely years without you.

Tricia said...

Thanks for the warning- read it anyways and cried. BRAT!
I actually think that is an awesome reason to love you...
Glad you are my sister.

Caroline said...

Hello Friend! I want to be in your birthday circle. I love Kelli because she is fun and funny and loving and kind and beautiful and a good mom and a good friend. I love Kelli because she is sensitive and thoughtful. I love Kelli because she reads my blog when noone else does. I love your cute baby pictures and I can see that you have always had your crazy personality. Happy Birthday Friend!