Sunday, August 3, 2008

Things I Believe. The Holy Ghost.

Funny there are not a lot of pictures out there of the Holy Ghost! You will have to make do with these others that I found! Sorry Mom, I know I don't have to always be cracking jokes!
The Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead along with God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. Though he is one in purpose with them he is a separate being. Before Christ was crucified he reassured his friends and followers that “I will not leave you comfortless”. He taught that God would send the Comforter, “which is the Holy Ghost”
All good people can feel the influence of the Holy Ghost. Members of the Church after they are baptized are given the gift of the Holy Ghost as their constant companion if they will live worthily. It is one of the greatest gifts that God could give us.
I was given this gift after I was baptized when I was eight. I was young and didn't truly understand what the Holy Ghost was supposed to do for me. I do understand more now. This is not an all inclusive list. This is what the Holy Ghost has done for me.
  1. The Holy Ghost testifies of God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. Through this gift I know that God lives and that his has a beautiful plan in store for all of us. Through the power of the Holy Ghost I know that Christ died for me and that through Him I can live forever with those whom I love.
  2. We have been promised that the Holy Ghost "will guide you into all truth". I believe that I may know the truth of all things if I listen and respond to his promptings. This applies in not only matters of religion but also to secular matters. He has guided as to where I should live, what I should do about my children and even where I should go to school. I never would have dreamed in hundred years that I would have attended the University of Utah. I was raised in a home that attended, cheered for and adored their arch rivals, BYU. It was only after a very hard day where I, along with my parents, had fasted and prayed that I would be inspired as to where I should attend school At the end of the day Dad and Mom and I piled in the car and drove to one school where I had a full ride scholarship and we walked around the campus. It was a nice campus, it would have been great but it was not where I needed to be. We drove the 2 hour drive down to BYU. We got out and walked around. It was beautiful, it was comfortable, I knew this place, I loved this placed and yet, it was not where I was to be. I cried all the way back to Salt Lake. I was frustrated and discouraged. My Dad mentioned to me that we should drive up to the U and see what we think of that campus. We drove up to the campus. We got out of the car and walked around. It was scary (to me) and unfamiliar and the Holy Ghost told all 3 of us that this was the place where I needed to be. I cried all the way home. How could I go to this school? I hadn't even sent my ACT scores there or applied or anything. The Holy Ghost knew what my loving Heavenly Father had in store for me and going to that school was one of the best things that ever happened to me.
  3. The Holy Ghost is the Comforter. Of this I can testify loud and clear. I can only imagine how Christ's friends and family must have felt when they realized that He was dead. I hope that the Comforter came quickly for them. I have felt this comfort these last several months. Losing Dad was horribly difficult but through this difficult time I have felt even more powerfully the peace that the Spirit brings. I have felt the reassurance that I WILL see Dad again. He has brought comfort and even joy into this time of my life.

My boys have asked me what does the Holy Ghost feel like. I think it is different for everyone and it even differs for me at different times. Sometimes it is a feeling of warmth that spreads through my body other times I get chills from head to toe. Sometimes it is a thought that comes unbidden into my mind while other times it is a feeling that something is wrong or wonderfully, joyfully right! Whatever the feeling I am grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost and I am even more thrilled that it is something that my children can and do have and that it is available to anyone who will come unto Christ, repent and be baptized.

4 comments:

Brenny said...

That was wonderful. What a great way to start a Monday. Thank you so much for writing it!

Jacqui said...

Kelli, I love that you share your testimony! Thank you!

Angie said...

Really nice!

The Holy Ghost and prayer are the two things, outside of the gospel in general, that I am most grateful for. It's gotten me through every lonely moment and difficult time.

Thanks for all of you testimony posts. I've really liked them.

Caroline said...

Kelli I have done a lot of thinking about the Holy Ghost in the past couple of years. What an amazing gift it is to be able to have a constant physical and emotional relationship with a member of the Godhead. Thanks for writing about it.