Thursday, August 21, 2008

My loves of August!

Some of my absolute favorite people were born in August! How do I love them? Let me count the ways. Or list them.Grandpa Lael Carter!
I love this man. As far as I am concerned he can do no wrong. I have been told that he is far from perfect but I don't believe it much! He can do anything and fix anything. He works harder than most men 50 years his junior! He loves all generations of his children and we all know it. He has this way of making you feel like you are his absolute favorite. I am pretty certain that I am the actual favorite however! I love the way he walks everyone to their cars though I don't know if he does it so he can wave goodbye or so he can see who runs over his sprinklers on the way out. I love how he loves my grandma. I love how he smart and sharp and involved in the times. I love how carefully he listens to me and although some might say it is because he can't hear very well I'm pretty certain it is because I am his favorite. I love the way he laughs and shakes his head like he is so amused or amazed at whatever you are telling him. I love how he still bosses me around as well as his grown children. I love how he can talk to anyone at any store for hours on end. I love how he is never to be hurried. I have known him for a long time so that is why this list is so long. I love my Grandpa! My father-in-law Gary Rollins! I love this man for man, many reasons! I love how he has learned to go with the flow. He doesn't get riled up very easily which makes it nice to be around him. I love how he takes care of his wife. I love how he cooks and does dishes! He has set a great example for his sons and I benefit from that example every day! I love how he is one of those guys who will give you everything including the shirt off his back if you need it! He is so generous. I love how he loves to travel. He always enjoys seeing the sights and sharing it with us all when he gets back. I love how he has taken a really hard childhood and made himself into a better man. He has been a fantastic father and has helped give his children the foundation and the security that he never had. That takes a strong man. I am thrilled to be a part of his family and I love him tremendously. My brother-in-law Bryan! Let's be open and honest here! When I first married in to the family Bryan scared me. He was big and burly and quiet and I didn't know how to deal with an older brother. Now I know better. He is kind and doesn't tease near as much as the younger boys do. He is a more subtle tease. He still likes to tease don't get me wrong. I love how he has inherited his parents generosity. He is so kind and generous to the boys on their birthdays and I appreciate that right up until he finds the biggest and loudest toy he can possibly find to get them. He is sensitive also. Although I am sure he would deny that. For example he brings the drinks to all the family parties. Well he heard me say once in passing that I loved red cream soda and the very next time we got together he had a few different varieties for me to choose from. He is a good guy with a soft heart and that is why I love Bryan! Another Brother-in-law Mark!
What can I say about Mark! I have known him a long time. Long before Dave and I even dated. I think I loved him (as a brother!) even before I knew I loved Dave. Mark makes me laugh. That is one reason why I love him. I have many memories of laughing with and at Mark for many years. I also love how he also has a serious side. I love to hear his many opinions on things. He has a few of those (opinions, I mean). I love to watch him play the devil's advocate. I love to watch what a fantastic father and husband he is. I love how he cares about his family both immediate and extended. He is always willing to help and is so generous to those he loves. Who would have thought that the silly boy who was too stubborn to wear a coat to a very snowy football game or who would wrestle and lose very graciously or who would insist on getting his revenge by dumping a cooler of water on someone who had spilled but a few drops on him or who could sing and imitate a slide show would become a brother-in-law whom I love lots and lots!

8 comments:

N8 said...

At least that's why you used to love Mark, now not so much. (Paul I'm counting on you to back me up)

Kelli said...

Whatever! Nobody believes you. Ever. Even if someone backs you up.

N8 said...

Speaking of that, have I ever told you how much I enjoy your company?


btw are you expecting all of the posters on your blog to say why they love you, since this is your birthday month? or are you planning to do a post about why you love yourself?

Angie said...

It's a busy month for the men in your family! Your grandpa is very cute.

Kelli said...

Nathan. The nice thing about my life is that I can totally just take your compliment and decide to believe it! Then I don't have to have that sinking sad feeling after I realize that you are somehow just insulting me again. So thank you Nate! I love you too! Since it is the best month of the year I really ought to write about me but maybe I will have my mom do it! She would do a great job!

N8 said...

That's the nice thing about your life?

N8 said...

Happy Birthday Kelli. You're really old now.

Mike said...

Hey guys!
I was reading about how you were scared of Bryan before you knew him well...So was I! Did you know he has a machete! Ask Dave and Mark they'll tell ya...Say hi to all and take care.
MikeH