Sunday, August 17, 2008

This I Believe. The Plan of Salvation. Part I

I absolutely believe that God has a plan for His children. Not only as a group but for each of us individually. I believe that we existed before we came to earth. We lived with our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. I believe that we associated with one another and knew each other before we came to Earth. We were taught the principles of righteousness and we learned about our Fathers plan for us. We could not progress any further without receiving a physical body. We were to come here to grow and learn. To walk by faith and to prove that we would do whatsoever the Lord commands. It sounds so simple doesn't it? We are told that we shouted with joy when we heard the plan. We were so excited to get these bodies of ours and to show our Father that we would always choose Him! I sometimes try to imagine Our Fathers reaction to our joy. He knew that some of His precious children wouldn't return to Him. There was probably some sorrow amongst the joy in His eyes.
This world was created for us to fulfill the plan of salvation. I find as I see the marvels of this world, as I go into the woods or sit beside a stream or see the magnificent mountains or the vast oceans and I have a little quiet time (obviously without my kids!) I feel closer to my Heavenly Father. I feel Their love for us when I see all the beautiful things that they created for no other reason but to give us joy! "Whenever I hear the song of a bird, or look at the blue, blue, sky. Whenever I feel the rain on my face or the wind as it rushes by...." So true.I believe that not only did God and Jehovah create this Earth on which we live but that they also created man, Adam, and woman, Eve. I believe, as the scriptures say, that He created us in His own image. Adam and Eve were placed in the Garden of Eden and they were given some instruction. One of the most important gifts that our Heavenly Father has given them, me and everyone is free agency. We are free to choose. He will not force us to make wise choices.
I think as a parent that it is extremely difficult to do at times. How many times have I told my kids to do something because I know better, because I am the mom and that they just need to trust me. I have a difficult time watching them make silly mistakes when I know better. How much more difficult would it be for Him to watch us make not only silly mistakes but mistakes that will cause us and those we love such sorrow, pain or unhappiness? What a powerful gift we were given. He knows that whatever your choice, you are also choosing a consequence. Consequences may appear immediately or may come much later. But choosing good eventually leads to happiness, and wrong choices eventually lead to unhappiness. Heavenly Father allows you to make choices and experience their consequences so you may learn the difference between good and evil. Adam and Eve learned about free agency, choices and about consequences. Because of the choices they made they were cast out of the Garden of Eden, were cut off from the presence of their Father and of Jehovah and were now susceptible to pain and sorrow but also joy and peace. This Fall of Adam and Eve was part of our Fathers plan and He had a way for us to be saved from the Fall and from the poor choices we would make.
He would send His Son, Jesus Christ, to voluntarily suffer and pay for my sins, pains, sicknesses, and sorrows. Through the Atonement He can help me in my trials and relieve me of the guilt and shame that result from my sins. Though He paid for my sins, Jesus did not eliminate my agency or personal responsibility; He will not make me clean against my will. To make His Atonement fully effective in my life I have to exercise faith in Him, repent and choose to follow him continually.
The Plan of Salvation is also often called the Plan of Happiness. Our Father wants us to have joy. To have the freedom of making our own choices and experiencing the consequences. He wants us to learn and to grow and He loves us so much that He was willing to send His Beloved Son to pay for us to have these experiences! This Infinite Atonement is what makes this plan the Plan of Happiness for without it we would be cut off from our Father forever. No wonder when we heard of the Atonement we shouted for joy! How can I ever struggle in doing my small part?

3 comments:

Brenny said...

Awesome. I believe, too. We talked about this in Sunday School yesterday and I was reminded how thankful I was for such a loving Heavenly Father who created this plan of happiness for his children.

Angie said...

I really like these I Believe posts. They're so nice, and such good reminders of what's important. Whenever I see the Plan of Salvation chart, I think of my mission. We used it in the fourth discussion. It was one of my favorites.

Todd and Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing Kelli!

Also, just a reminder that some time later today I'll be changing our blog address to toddandmelissa4ever.blogspot.com, so be sure to change your link and try to remove any references to our last name if you can! :)