Friday, May 30, 2008

No More Teachers...

Well here it is again. The last day of school! What an exciting time it is in the life of a child! I well remember the feelings of being so excited to be done that my heart felt like it could jump out my throat. I remember walking home that last day thinking about all the fun things that I was going to do that summer. Camping, swimming, running through the sprinklers, popsicles, family reunions, and the summer classes Mom would sign me up for. Aaaahhh. Those were the days.

Here are some of the things that I think about now.

1. When did time start going so fast?! I can't believe that the year is already over! Seriously does time feel like it goes faster the older you get? I remember thinking that my birthday would take f..o..r..e..v..e.r to come along and now I can't keep track of how old I am. I spent all of my 36th year telling everyone I was 37 so I basically repeated my 37th year.
2. How am I going to keep the kitchen stocked with food for the boys and extra boys that will be at my house EVERY MOMENT OF THE DAY! Yeah. I am not really one of those moms who lives to have school over so I can have my precious little kiddies gather round my knee! I get enough on Sunday where they fight (literally sometimes) to sit on, by or around me during Sacrament Meeting. I even get comments from the pulpit about how Dave sits peacefully on his end of the bench while I am surrounded by 5 boys who must all be touching me! I love them and they love me but they sure seem to love me more after being away!

3. Jealousy. I love the summer activities for kids. I got the flyer for the summer movie program. I don't know if it was everywhere or just here in Davis County, but we used to have a movie a week that we could go see. Old classics back then like "Where the Red Fern Grows" "Against a Crooked Sky" "Seven Alone". I remember those times. I remember taking sewing lessons, public speaking lessons, plus the tennis, swimming, drama etc. I pore over the summer activities brochures that I get. Mad Scientist camp... Tennis... Swimming Lessons.... Drama classes... Golf... Space Camp... Fishing... such possibilities. I envy them a bit. 4. Hallelujah! I made it through 6th grade. I tell you I can't believe how much homework Josh had this year. I am so thankful for the internet to remind me what the equation is for figuring out the area of a circle, for telling me which Greek god was the god of war, I can tell you where all the countries in Europe and Asia are and why I wouldn't want to be a Roman Gladiator! I have reviewed a lot of things that I had forgotten from 27 years ago! I think I enjoyed learning it more this time around!
5. I can retire as PTA President. I have told many of my friends that being the pres. is the easiest job in the PTA. I truly had the greatest board who took charge of their stuff and I never had to worry. I am glad it is over but I am glad that I did it. I love all of the people that I got to know that I would never had known any other way. Poor Joe won't know what to do not going down to the school several times a week but I am sure he will adjust quickly.

6. The past few years have been very unique for us. We have had the great fun of having Jacob, Kassidy and Conner go with my boys to school. It has been so fun for them! Aaron and Kass have even had the same teacher for the past two years. The six kids are great friends and they love being with each other. It has made us feel very sad to think that they won't be with us next year! I love these 3 just like my own and Joe thinks of them as his brothers and sister also. I will also miss seeing Tricia almost everyday. I am so happy for Tricia, Brandon and all their kids but it sure is bummer that they have to go so far away! Ok it's only 20 minutes but still...

5 comments:

Jacqui said...

Those are good memories. I'm glad to not be there yet--kids out of school and restless to do something. See, it's not different than what I've been doing, just with sprinklers :)

Brenny said...

I missed this on Friday, but great minds must think alike! ALthough I did nostagic stuff for my Friday Five and you did current stuff... Anyway, sounds like this year was full of fun memories. I want to come and take the Mad Scientist class -- how much is it to sign up?

Brenny said...

And I think it is really cool that your boys and Trisha's kids got to go to school together. Right there is a big plus to living by family.

Robin Fisher said...

We are planning on spending most of our days at the pool. Schools starts August 8 for Adam--remember when school started after Labor Day?

Todd and Melissa said...

I want to go see all those movies! How fun! I also remember the swimming, the tennis, and the golf lessons. Summers were great back then!