Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Welcome Summer!

It has been hot here for the past few days but finally, today I don't care! After 7 years of living here in our lovely old home we got central air! We also got a new furnace since the one we had was brought across the plains and uses coal. OK maybe it is not that old but probably it was about as efficient! The installers (Rand and Brandon) came and started the project on Monday so I thought I would be cool by that evening but no it is a 2 day project and of course they have to install the furnace first. That wouldn't be that big of deal but they had to TEST it also. Are you kidding me? Well I survived. Barely.
I told Dave that we were going to celebrate by cranking the new system and sitting around in coats and mittens and eating popsicles just because we could. I also told him to get a second job to pay for this freezing party!

Anyway this event got me to thinking about how spoiled I am. (No comments please) Anyway I was thinking about how I have lived 7 years without central air in this house and how brave I was to do that and I started thinking about things that I have that my grandparents did not have when they were young.
So here are the top 5 things that I title "How did they do without?"

1. Indoor Toilets. Even my Grandpa Carter's deluxe double seater that he had just doesn't cut it! (I know! Is this really a time for sharing space?)
2. Disposable Diapers. Very not green but a lifesaver for me. I had a mom who didn't use them for a long, long, time and there was many a time when I would have to clean out a diaper in the toilet and it was not a pleasant thing. If there were not Disposable Diapers I would have had only 1 kid. Wipes are cool too! My mom will still use a warm washcloth. Not me. After a certain age the cold wipes become a motivation to get potty trained. 3. Washing Machine. I have a hard time getting laundry done with this helpful machine if I had to do it by hand my children would never have clean clothes. 4. Digital Camera. I am all about instant gratification (in some areas). I love to see the picture now, now, now and know right then to try again. Mine has recently stopped working and has to be sent in for a repair so I know how much I hate to be without!!
5. Garage door openers. I would never use my garage if it wasn't for this handy dandy gadget. I remember when I would ride around with my mom and I would push the button to see if I could open anyone elses garage.
So how about you? What could you never do without?

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

Ok, at enrichment last night there was a "green" mom there knitting wool pants that she was going to "lanolize" (whatever that means) to use as a diaper cover. Then she proceeded to tell me that each diaper lasts 500 years in a landfill (I think she was trying to make me feel bad). Wow. 500 years. I probably shouldn't have wrapped up those diapers in plastic grocery sacks to curb the smell. I wonder how long they'll last now.

I totally second not being able to live without washing machine. I love my Bosch. How did I ever do laundry by hand in Venezuela?

Brenny said...

Congratulation on the air conditioning! As someone who grew up without it I know how decadent it makes you feel. Great choices for the list. I'm all about the digital instant gratification, too. It is a vain reason because I'm so unphotogenic -- digital gives me time to retake a picture if my expression is weird.

My personal item I can't do without is a dishwasher. I don't mind doing hand dishes once in a while, but having to do them every meal drove me crazy. I say that like I actually did the dishes after every meal... Not so much. It wasn't until we moved to Colorado that a dishwasher became a reason to consider an apartment/house.