Monday, May 12, 2008

Take me out of the ballgame!

I am a strange person. I pay good money for my boys to play baseball and then I find myself praying that a game will be cancelled for some reason or another. I might as well call it a donation! It is just that with 2 games and 2-3 practices per week per boy I feel as if I live at the ball park. It would be nice if it was just one ballpark but the different leagues play at different parks so Aaron may be at West Bountiful, Josh at Centerville and Jonathan at Mills Park! Then I am supposed to get homework done and feed those little boys EVERYDAY! (Can you believe they expect to eat everyday?) So does anyone have great ideas for meals that take under 15 minutes from start to finish?

Tricia's son, Conner, is on Jonathan's team which is fun for us all! I enjoy chatting with Tricia (as if seeing her almost everyday isn't enough). We were laughing during a game recently about how we are both that type of Mom that gets into the games and takes it quite serious. We blame both Mom and Dad for that one.
A little bit of knowledge sometimes makes it hard to be patient. We never played baseball but all the boys did and Dad coached them all so we know what the boys should be doing. They should have their eye on the batter and be thinking about where they will throw the ball if it comes to them. It is a thinking game. Who should I be backing up? I have 3 balls and no strikes so what should I be expecting. The boys should be down in position and focused on the batter so sometimes we are slightly annoyed by the boy who is dancing with his mitt on his head at third base or the other boy who is in the outfield sitting down filling his hat with grass! It makes me laugh but my boys better not be doing it!

Then there was Mom, the fan. She has all these little sayings that we find ourselves saying over and over. "See ball, Hit ball! "Keep your eye on the ball" "Good eye" and so forth.

Dave was teasing Tricia about how last year she was so annoyed because there were a few boys on Jacob's team that refused to swing at the ball, EVER! The parents would cheer them on by saying "good eye" when they wouldn't swing! Tricia was dying because it had nothing to do with a "Good Eye" if they wanted to be truthful the parents should have been saying " Way to just stand there!" or "Nice no effort".


Josh was one of those a few years ago. It was his first at bat in his first year in the kid pitch league and he got pegged right in the arm. He was not only scared to swing at the ball but he was scared to stay in the box! We finally had to pay him to swing! It worked though! He started getting some hits and thereby some confidence! Lucky for us Tricia's son wasn't on the team that year so he didn't have to be reprimanded by his Aunt!

Catch ya at the ballpark! Go Yankees, Orioles and Cardinals!

4 comments:

Brenny said...

That was great! It made me want to come and sit with you and Trisha and watch a little baseball myself. Go Team!

It was soccer for Darren's family of 5 boys. They got a lot of pizza.

Kelli said...

Pizza and Hot Dogs! Someone really needs to invent one that has some nutritional value! Soccer is the fall sport for us. I really love it! My brothers really didn't do soccer much when they got older.

Jacqui said...

I hear that they're counting Ketchup as a vegetable these days, so we could probably throw pizza sauce into that category and viola! you've got a healthy, well-balanced meal :)

I'm excited to be a soccer mom (or baseball or basketball mom) to my boys. I already have it planned that I'll bring CapriSuns and Orange slices to the games and definitely yell the loudest to embarrass my kids. Thanks for the one liners. :)

Todd and Melissa said...

I knew you had some baseball "stuff" going on, but I didn't realize exactly HOW much. You're one crazy lady, I'm sure! :)

Would your kids eat wraps? Just grab some tortillas, a little cream cheese, lunch meat, and lettuce if they like it! You can make them in the morning and stick 'em in the fridge until dinner. (I love turkey with craisins sprinkled in—yum!)