Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What's in a Name? NSAHIII

What is your name? How did you get it? What does it mean?My name is Kelli. Spelled with an i. It has become a pet peeve of mine to have my named spelled with a y. I think because I went to school with a boy named Kelly so I always thought that was the boy way to spell my name. In my baby book that Mom filled out while expecting my arrival it had a space for that names you were planning on for the baby. It has Bradley for a boy name and Amy for a girl name. The story goes that Dad took one look at me and said that I was a Kelli with an "i" and for a middle name Lyn with 1 "n" not 2. That is how I got my name. I am the only one that Dad named as far as I know. In most baby name books (which by the way I still love to browse in my spare time) Kelli means "warrior woman" or "fighter" or "defender". Now growing up I must admit I hated the definition of my name. I wanted something a little more feminine or romantic but by college I grew to love it. Though every time I am in a bookstore and see a baby name book I look to see if Kelli has anything added to it like "beautiful talented warrior"!

**Guess what in trying to find graphics I went online and I found several new meanings. "Brave, Lively and Bright-headed" have all been added to my name meaning. There was even one obscure one that said "Farm by a meadow". Weird. I betcha that enough Kellis complained that they had to add some splash to the meaning. I don't know really who "they" are but they were awfully nice to add some pizazz. By the way "bright-headed" means brilliant. According to me.
**

The origin if my name varies. Some books say Irish some English. I prefer the books which say Celtic or Gaelic myself. Much more romantic! I guess my real name origin is "Irv".

Apparently Dad was really ahead of the times because Kelli became popular for what looks likes 1 month in 1970 and immediately declined from there. Which is fine with me because I liked being the only female Kelli in my class. It made it easy to know if people were talking about me. Which in reality nobody ever was doing! I was just never meant to be a Jennifer. (no offense Jennifers) (Jenn might actually read this so I really mean no offense)

Kelli is a good name and I like it better than Amy (no offense Amy) (I don't think any Amy's will actually read this but better to be safe...). I really like to write my name also. I have a great looking "K"!
Now I am starting to ramble. Goodbye for now.

Kelli Lyn

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
11
people with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love your name and I love that your dad named you!

Jacqui said...

I think you're reading that graph backwards. The Y axis is 1 to 1000 top to bottom, not bottom to top. So that would mean the name has gotten MORE popular with time. We could probably derive a direct correlation with your birth :)

Clarks said...

Yea! I swear I had 3 Jenni's in all my classes at school, probably even 3 Jenni C's now I am still Jenni C. But I also hate being spelled with a Y hence AbbI. I didn't know your middle name was Lyn although I am going to pretend it had something to do with Abbi's middle name being Lynn okay?