Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Doctor is In! NSAH IV

Ok. Pretend it is Wednesday. The question for this week is...

Did your family have any home cures for hiccups, warts, cold, flu, sore throat etc?
My hiccups are horrible. I get them once and then I get them all day long! They also hurt. And according to my boys they are LOUD. My dad had a foolproof cure for the hiccups. He would scare us. It worked every time. He would notice we had the hiccups and then boom he would yell our name or jump out at us. It never failed!
Wait, let me give you some background. Dad worked for the LDS church in the fleet department. He was in charge of the cars in many missions all over the world. I remember once he called me at work when I was about 20 and I had a bad case of the hiccups. He started telling me that he had some bad news. He told me there had been a car accident in one of the missions and the missionaries were hurt. My heart stopped because I had a lot of boys that I cared about that were serving missions at the time. He said that one of the missionaries was one of my close friends! I was honestly almost in tears. Then he stops and says "Are your hiccups gone?" and they were! Then he proceeded to tell me the real reason he called. Torture maybe, but it did get rid of the hiccups.
My mom has her own cures for things. If you have a sore throat you should gargle salt water. As soon as you stop gagging it works! Just teasing Mom. Mom is all about prevention. She talks about eating healthy and getting enough sleep and exercising! Those are the first things she will tell you! Then the salt water gargle and also a humidifier. Absolutely you must have a humidifier. I don't remember going to doctor ever (except my junior high checkup!) so the healthy living must have worked!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate when I get the hiccups! One time I was at the mall and I had the hiccups and a lady walked up to me and gave me a quarter and they were gone! She said it works every time. It was the weirdest thing ever.

Tiffany said...

I also get loud, painful, everlasting hiccups! I am dying over the story from your dad--so funny!

Tiffany said...

I also get loud, painful, everlasting hiccups! I am dying over the story from your dad--so funny!

Todd and Melissa said...

I have really loud hiccups too, like embarrassingly loud. I had them on a plane once when we were on vacation and people were staring at me like I was crazy. I can't control them though! I've drank water upside down a couple times and sometimes they go away, but sometimes they don't. I usually just have to ride them out.

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Brett always tries to scare me when I have the hiccups. 10+ years of marriage and it has never worked! Yet he still scares me everytime!

My cure for them is to hold your breath for as long as you can 3 times. On the last time start singing jingle bells as loud as you can. My friends dad taught us that when we were young. Crazy but it works...most of the time. :)

Angie said...

I don't know that it was ok for your dad to do that to you. I suppose, though, that you were used to that sort of thing.

My parents are really into the herbal remedies. And dad thinks that all ailments can be cured or prevented through good nutrition. I've never bought into the herbs. Maybe I should, no I don't think so.

Jacqui said...

That is so funny. I didn't know that tidbit about Irv.

I always hated it when my new babies got the hiccups. I felt so helpless!