Monday, February 23, 2009

I can't believe the internet was wrong!

Being a girl and all I had no idea that scouts were supposed to go on winter camps. Sometimes they go to organized events with other troops and it is called Klondike.
Our troop starting the race!
Well so Josh's troop was scheduled to go a few weekends ago. I cheerfully volunteered Dave to go with him. Dave looked up the information of where and when on the Internet. They were going to be going to Rockport Reservoir and it was supposed to be very cold there! I then began to think about them staying out in the cold over night. A little bit of panic set in. So I decided that a scout or in reality a scout mom is always prepared. I put a wool blanket inside a mummy bag and then put the mummy bag inside a bigger sleeping bag! I helped Josh pack 8 layers; undershirt, thermals, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, hoodie, jacket, coat. We got new boots, new wool socks, hand warmers, foot warmers and 3 pair of gloves of varying sizes! I almost bought a tent warmer for goodness sakes. Can you tell this boy is my first? Joe-Joe will probably be lucky to have a coat and socks without holes!
Our troop standing around.
Dave also got this preparation treatment much to his chagrin. Of course the chagrin actually set in right about the time the scoutmaster called and told him that if Dave couldn't go they would have to cancel. Guilt works, have no doubt!
On the sled!
So after loading all their stuff and having them put on a few well planned layers I drove them down to the Scoutmasters home to load up the trailer. Then I went back home for the handwarmers. Then I went back home for the camera. Well I guess they loaded up and left and I went about taking care of the other boys. A while later Dave called and told me they had arrived. I was impressed with their travel time and asked if there was tons of snow and if it was freezing already. He proceeded to tell me that the information he got from the website was not quite right.
Starting a fire?
The Klondike for this year was at the Davis County Fairgrounds.
10 minutes from our house.
Dave didn't even use his coat.
Better safe, or in this case completely over-the-top prepared, than sorry and cold!
I honestly don't know what they are doing here. I wasn't there. I was at home keeping warm!

6 comments:

Jacqui said...

That is so funny. I'm definitely that mom, too. Completely overprepare Andy and Kraig for a campout in the backyard: "Do you need a few more blankets? Do you need some hot chocolate? Snacks? Are you warm enough?" And then I gladly go and sleep in my own bed :) Best of both worlds.

Who knows what it will be like when he's a real scout!

Angie said...

I have to say that I've never understood why the scouts do so much camping. And in February? Bah. But, you did do a fantastic job getting him ready. Looks like they had fun.

Unknown said...

Kelli that is hilarious! I thought the internet was always right! I guess boys don't really care anyways what they do and it looks like they still had fun!

Sheri said...

Funny! My poor son went on a winter camp over night and his 2nd sleeping bag spent the night in our garbage can in stead of keepinghim warm! Bryson in a one time only bid to help out took out the 'garbage' by the door...aka sleeping bag wrapped in garbage bag! I thought they had packed and loaded everything the night before... but I thought wrong! So while I was up that night worrying about Austin camping in a snow storm in cottonwood canyon... it turns out I had every reason to be worried! He was freezing all night long! Great mom eh?! So better over prepared!!

Sheri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany said...

What do you mean, "the internet was wrong?" That just doesn't make any sense.

This gave me the giggles.