Monday, December 15, 2008

The exchanging of the gifts...

How does your family exchange Christmas gifts? Does everyone give to everyone? Do you just do kid exchanges? Do you give family gifts? Do you rotate names? Or draw names? We draw names. Every year around Halloween in both families. In the Rencher family it has become a bit of a joke because we have one person in the family who nobody wants to draw. We will call him or her P. Mad for our purposes today. When we get ready to draw my sibling group which includes in-laws, go into panic mode. Some start chanting their mantra "Not P. Mad. Not P. Mad. " Over and over. Others close their eyes and their lips start moving in a silent prayer. Some hold their breath. The wives (who let's face it is doing the shopping for both gifts) threaten husbands that they had better not draw P. Mad or they are dead meat! Then comes the inevitable moment when someone opens their little slip of paper and the shout out "Nooooooo!" rings throughout the house as they fall to their knees. I have actually seen my sweet brother Andrew cheat and throw this name back in the bowl! It is getting bad people. Every year people voice their philosophies of how to beat the system. "Go first", "Draw 2 and play eanie meanie," "Try to read through the paper","Bribe Alli to put the name in after they have drawn" (that might be a good side business Alli!) Whatever the tactics mine seems to be faulty because I swear I have had him 3 out of the last 4 years and I think that fourth year Dave had him!

I have to be honest though. It is not as bad as everyone thinks. He is not as picky as he was in the past. It has become kind of fun for me to give him joke gifts first (I think I stole that from Nate and Paul). So one year he got a bowling ball complete with a bowling bag! He was dying thinking I really did get him that as a gift! Precious expression on that one! One year he got a sweet framed 8x10 picture of me. It was honestly what he asked for, I swear.
Here is a very blurry picture of him getting the picture of me. Look how happy he is. Isn't it great I blurred the picture so you can't recognize him? It was a great photo of me! My brothers actually dressed me for this photo.
What should I get him this year? Is it bad that I know what the funny gift will be but not the real one?

On the flip side. Everyone wants P. Mad to get their name because 2 years ago when he had me, his wife (oops I totally typed her name, that would so give it away) told him he had to actually get my the gift without her help. Needless to say Christmas day came and P. Mad kept trying to convince us all to wait on the sibling exchange. You see HE HAD NO GIFT FOR ME! Ha-ha. I totally thought he was joking but he honestly didn't. I actually found it all pretty funny and I wasn't upset at all. Probably because I knew that I would have mocking power on this one forever! Well P. Mad felt so bad that he went out the very next day and bought everything on my list I had sent him. It was Great! So now everyone hopes that he gets their name and that he forgets to get the gift!

6 comments:

Jacqui said...

That's sooo funny!

We gave up drawing names and started a rotation. I thought it was so practical that I convienced the Webbs to do it too, the rotation, I mean.

I'd love to know what you come up with this year!

Brenny said...

I want to hear about the funny gift, too. We have a similar sibling who is very hard to buy for. I'll call him "Rott." Unfortunately, with the rotation you always know when you are going to get him.

In the Casey family we draw families, and then Darren's mom decides on a theme. We've done red neck gifts, closest to $11.00 at Walmart gifts, FHE gifts, family games, and this year we have to write a memory about the sibling (and spouse if necessary) and send a corresponding gift. We like it!

Angie said...

I did hear you call my name at the concert on Friday, but couldn't see who was calling me. Shoot! I would have been fun to talk to you for a minute. The concert was good, huh?

Sheri said...

WE do all of the above! As far as siblings we have since reverted to families and rotate... this has worked, but not nearly as much fun!! You know, most of us can tell who P.mad is... not so blurry of a picture!!

Todd and Melissa said...

Funny! I love Christmas and all the great traditions everyone has!

My family is so small (just my bro and sis), we just do presents for them both. Todd's family we draw names for a family.

A. said...

I'm glad you didn't type the wife's name. It would have been SOOO obvious. And probably shown up on Google.