Sunday, November 23, 2008

I Like People!

I do, I really, really do! I like people. Even my kids, despite what they may claim. I remember when I was a teenager I used to think that my parents didn't have many friends and they never understood how important my friends were to me! In my mind they just couldn't relate to my social life. Now I am beginnning to understand... I am becoming like them. I used to have friends and I reconnect with them occasionally. I enjoy reunions and finding old friends online and afternoon visits. I enjoy hearing about their lives and their joys and sorrows and how we are not as different or far apart as we sometimes feel. I love to meet their spouses and go out to dinner and to laugh as we reminisce.I have found that those years between 17-24 are amazing years. I made friends that will last forever (or at least for a long while)! Nowadays I find it almost difficult to make friends. Why? Is it because I am busy with kids or PTA or YW or laundry? I have a few friends who I wish I could know better from my ward or from PTA and I do count them as friends. But the friendships I develop now seem more temporary. These days when these friends move we don't meet up to do dinner, we might check out each others blogs or exchange Christmas cards but that is about the extent of our relationship. Something about being older or being where I am now makes it more difficult to make lasting friendships. Nowadays I do a lot of hanging out with... these gals .... or these guys... or these.What happened to that social girl that I used to be? Sometimes I miss her.

11 comments:

Jme said...

off subject, but I have gone private on my blog, so if you want to continue spying on me email me at Jmetaylor381@hotmail.com so I can invite you!

Talena said...

I enjoyed reading your post today. I liked looking at your photos. You summed up nicely how I feel as well. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! It has been nice to reconnect with old friends, like yourself!

Jacqui said...

If you ask me, I think you made a good trade to spend a lot of time with your cute sisters and mama. I can't believe you're all in the same state. I'm so jealous.

Sheri said...

I was just talking to my husband about this same thing the other day! I don't know if it just being to busy or priorities, or if what we tell our children is really true... "your family is who will be there forever, not your friends", whatever the real reason... I am thankful for the internet that lets me feel like I am keeping in touch!!
P.S Let's do lunch!

Tiffany said...

I love looking at your old pictures. I always think of you as a very social person--quick to laugh, knows everybody, enjoys a good potluck, etc.. So what if your social life with extended friends is really just you sitting alone at your computer?

That's my sarcastic way of saying I'm thankful for the internet and blogs--I love keeping in touch with you!

Angie said...

I think that when a person has a family her focus changes. When you're single it's much easier to have friends because that's really all you have. Now you're all about your family. But don't worry, you'll always have me:).

Brenny said...

I have thought the same thing about making new lasting friends -- there is no time!

I agree with JAcqui, I'm pretty jealous that you and your sisters live close enough to hang out together on a regular basis. You are sealed to these people, it is nice that you can build that relationship!

Todd and Melissa said...

It seems like you are still a social girl to me! I love our chats (even though sometimes they are hard to get in!).

Robin Fisher said...

I think it is difficult to have friends because I never get to finish a complete sentence. :)
But back to what Brenny and Jacq said, Having sisters so close sounds like Heaven. I have been blessed with WONDERFUL friends, thanks to the Army and getting to move so much, but I think I would trade it all if I could get together with sisters and brother more often.

Caroline said...

I wish we had more chances to spend time with our old friends too. It really is a good thing when we take the time! I love the old sorority pics. Love you Kelli!

krissy said...

I feel exactly the same! I loved looking at the photos and seeing all those familiar faces. Those were fun days, back when I was "19 cute-n-fun!" I am now 37 tired-n-boring! My years as a single gal are full of great memories! Love you tons gal!!