Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Talent Abounds

We are starting a new tradition in the Rencher family. We are doing a Girl's Night Out once a month. We are taking turns planning it and I was in charge this time. We had a wonderful night a couple weekends ago! We followed President Uchtdorf"s advice and decided to create something. My talented and amazing friend/boss, Sandra Rast agreed to teach us how to oil paint. So we went to her art studio/home and had a great time painting our still life!Jenn getting comfy. Here is her masterpiece! She was not only talented but quick also.Tricia taking this very seriously. She also was the master of bold color! Sara doubting that it will actually end up looking like a flower! But look how great her flowers turned out!Mom the artist! Mom's shadows were fantastic! Here is Alli and Haley. After we finished painting (about midnight!) We critiqued each other's paintings! Here is Alli's. I loved her leaves and her cloth especially.We voted that Haley's won the show's Grand Prize! Here is mine. I like my purple flower.

We all decided that we would leave the painting to the professionals but I think we all had a fun time despite the moments of frustration!
One last deep thought. Although we were all looking at the same exact still life not one of us painted the same painting! All of them were completely different and yet all of them were correct. Alli could barely see the hot pink flower that was the focus of my painting! Kinda like life.

8 comments:

Jacqui said...

That is SO awesome! How wonderful that you are all in the same state to do that once a month. I love that we all went in with gusto to develop that talent. They were all beautiful and I would put any of them on my kitchen wall (it seemed like a happy still life that belonged in the kitchen :) Keep posting these great ideas--we're doing a sisters' weekend in the spring after Robin's baby's here.

Haley and Mitch said...

Next talent.... videos & bubble letters! I'll rock the house!

Kim said...

These were all so awesome! If it had been me painting, you wouldn't have recognized what it was supposed to be. (I'm up here this week and hoping to get together one day.)

A. said...

It is pretty amazing that we could do that in 6 hours. Sandra is so talented as an artist AND as a teacher!

Brenny said...

All the the pictures are beautiful! The colors and strokes and everything. Such a fun idea. It makes me want to have all of my sisters closer so we can do girl's night out more often.

Angie said...

These paintings are remarkable! So, so good. Kelli, you are full of surprises!

Sheri said...

I love that! We just decided to do the girls night out once a month as well! What a great idea!!

Caroline said...

I know what we need to do for our next officer reunion! The paintings are great. Love you! LJ