Tuesday, July 8, 2008

When did family reunions become fun again?

I remember distinctly Mom and Dad dragging me to many a reunion in some random park or church cultural hall. I am very certain that the following things took place at almost every reunion.

kids playedadults sat around and talked and laughed at very silly stories
older cousins (first, second, once removed doesn't really matter) who were so awesomely cool that you were a little nervous but oh so eager to hang with their crowd.

lots of good homemade food

boring programs

everyone remarking on how big I was getting

young cousins jumped right back into being friends... doesn't matter when you saw them last.

teenagers sulking

I remember about a million years ago when my Uncle Clifford and Aunt Helen's family came into to town and we got together with them for a few days and we somehow memorized all the songs in "Annie" and performed them for our parent's. Whenever I hear those songs I think of these cousins fondly.

Then I became a teen and the whole reunion thing become quite tedious and boring I remember those years well. Those teenage years through the selfish-young-twenties (sorry, that is what I call those first years in the twenties when everything is about me. Granted for good reasons but another time on that topic) anyway that must be where reunions get a bad reputation. Too bad we can't skip those years.

So my question is this. When did reunions become good things again? I just got back from the Rencher Reunion at the Homestead. It was full of...

Kids playing

lots of adults sitting around talking and laughing only now I am one of them!

older cousins although I am not afraid of most of them anymore. The younger gun-totin' ones scare me a little! It makes me wonder who is going to attack us up there in the booniest of boondocks, an escaped cow?

lots of good homemade food... foil dinners (what are these mysterious things of which you speak?), pancakes and all the protein extras, taco soup, potato bar with all the fixins plus some new yummy fixins. (I still want that pulled pork recipe, Brenda!)

boring programs (not quite so boring, especially sitting near the most sarcastic of the cousins and their spouses)

everyone remarking on how big I was getting. It wouldn't be a compliment anymore although still true. teens sitting around sulking. Another nice thing about the Homestead. Lots of room, lots of things to do, lots of fun events, lots of people with guns to shoot the teens that are sulking.

young cousins jumped right back into being friends... doesn't matter when you saw them last.

The cousins aren't so young anymore but it is amazing how we can jump right back into being friends. Maybe it is the special place that we call The Homestead, maybe it is that we are older and supposedly wiser, maybe it is that we have some of the same blood running through our veins, maybe it is because we know perfectly what "He is such a Rencher" means.

Whatever your reasons. I am a fan.

disclaimer: Photos do not necessarily reflect what is being mentioned. Jacqui is not the most sarcastic. Brenda may not be actually bored but then again...

11 comments:

Angie said...

Sounds like lots of fun! Sulking teenager are a pain, aren't they? We should all skip those years.

Brenny said...

You did such a good job of the reunion recap and I loved the pictures you got! And who knows, maybe some errant cow is simply biding his time...

I think that picture is actually of Ornery Brenda, not me -- did you see her double chin? She should really work on that. :) I'm out of my twenties, but apparently it is still all about me...

I would like a copy of the video Dave put together. Is there a sign-up or something?

Kelli said...

Brenda,
It is not officially a double chin. It is a Grandma Rencher chin as we tell ourselves in this part of the family! Dave is going to perfect the video (spell Burley right etc.) and then we will get the copies made. We will sign you up for a copy!

Brenny said...

Great! Maybe while Dave is 'perfecting' the video he can do something about the toe trick picture. It looked a little off. I think he should look into removing it... :)

Jacqui said...

Yahoo! I'm FAMOUS! I made someone elses blog! That's it, this is stardom for me!

I loved the post, and not just because there was a photo of me. It was all so true.

My question is, "Who brings a friend to a family reunion and WHY would the friend think they would have a good time with someone else's family?"

And honestly, did our cousins really need to 'pack heat?' Sheesh. Robin made a good observation by reminding me that her honey in the middle east wears less body armor than some of our cousins and he actually has people shooting at him. Nuts!

And I definitely want a copy of the video! I didn't get to see all of it because Andy had to go potty :( But I heard it was great! Sign me up!

A. said...

Amazing as always, although I didn't see you take one picture so I wonder where all these came from.

Kelli said...

Jacqui,
You are a star! I enjoyed your questions. Maybe we should have had a question and answer period for the family where we could have asked these and other thought provoking questions. I enjoyed Robin's comment. There is something a bit disconcerting about seeing a mom "packing heat" while feeding her young baby! We will put you down for a video!

Kelli said...

Alli! Surprise! You doubt me? I did have to take pictures so I would have some for the blog! Ha. Ha. Do you like the one I got of you? I love it! You look way too good for a camper! You are looking right at me did you not see me then?

Vickers Family said...

Kelli I love your blog and all your great journaling you put me to shame!! It was so fun seeing you and yours we really do need to plan a family get together soon. Thanks for always being there for us! Love lots Amanda

Robin Fisher said...

Great reunion and I totally feel the same. Adam was so confused by all of the cousins. But had a great time riding the 4-wheeler and playing in the sandbox.
I had a great time. Thanks for all of your work.
Did anyone actually get photos of the "heat" My friends here don't believe me. They think only people in Tennessee and Kentucky do that.

Kelli said...

Robin,
I think that Jenn got a picture of the "heat". I will ask her today! I was kicking myself for not getting some good pic's myself. I think I was afraid to point and shoot in their direction!