Tuesday, April 1, 2008

He taught me to dance in the kitchen

My sweet Dad passed away peacefully on Wednesday, March 26, 2008. It is so hard to put into words what transpired. We knew he was very sick. We knew the cancer may claim his life someday but despite that knowledge the suddenness in which this happened has left me gasping. I was lucky enough to have spent a nice evening with him on Tuesday. It was just the two of us for a while and we talked about how every day was a gift and I told him I wanted there to be a lot more "every days". On Wednesday morning he spent the morning with Alli helping her get ready for a job interview. Later that morning he stopped talking to Alli which prompted her to call me. I talked to him on the phone and he was able to answer "Yes" to my questions. After talking to Alli for a few minutes we knew that something was amiss and Alli called Mom. Mom came home and the ambulance was called. We came to find out that he was no longer getting enough oxygen and he slipped into unconsciousness. With the help of the paramedics and the nurse we were able to get his oxygen levels up a bit higher but he never regained consciousness.
Through the next few hours amazing miracles transpired. The blessing of having all six of his kids with him at this time would have made my Dad very happy. It was a miracle that we were all able to be there. Most of the grandkids were even able to come give him a final "Rock". His sons blessed him and we knelt and prayed together as a family. I held his hand which had once been so strong and now was so tired. We talked quietly and we were laughing and crying and reminiscing together when he finally gave up the fight. He died very peacefully at 5:30 in the afternoon.
Mom really wanted to do the funeral on Saturday so the next few days were packed full of picking out the casket, writing the obituary, putting together the program, calling many friends and family members, putting together the displays, making the DVD, and practicing songs. Keeping busy postpones the grief until nighttime. Nights are hard. The Comforter was with us so strongly that it was difficult to leave each other. I wish I felt that close to the Spirit all the time.












The viewing and the funeral were so comforting. I was amazed at how many people told me that my dad was their best friend. I learned a lot about him as others would tell me stories. I gained strength from the love and support of others. There was a lot of laughter and joy there for me amidst the sorrow.













This week I have been grateful for so many things.
  • My righteous mom is so full of love and of the Spirit and she is my strength and example. Her spirit and faith fills our home and each one of us in turn.
  • My husband is my rock and gets me through the hard nights, lonely moments and makes me laugh.
  • My brothers are my pillars on whom I can always rely. They are all that is fine and right and true. Dad is proud of each of them.
  • My sisters are part of my heart and understand me without explanation.
  • My sister-in-laws and future brother-in-law are the bricks of our family. They have been absolutely amazing. They are there for not only their spouses but they are the action behind all the planning and details. They did everything to help make things go smoothly and I am so grateful for them.
  • My in-law family are my own personal back-up family. They have helped with phone calls, cards, flowers, baby-sitting and just letting me cry on their shoulders.
  • My extended family for their support. Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and Cousins are the mortar which held us all together. Many travelled long distances to come to the viewing and the funeral. Their hugs and smiles and tears helped us go on. Family is amazing. I love them all.
  • My friends have been fantastic. I cried with them the most! Their comfort was not expected which made it that much more powerful. I love them so much and consider myself very lucky to have them in my life.
  • The Comforter who is real and powerful.
  • My Savior and my Heavenly Father. They live. They love me. They love my dad. Together they have made a plan which makes it possible for me to not only see my dad again but for me to live with him forever. I cannot express the joy that knowledge brings. I find it amazing how my testimony is stronger than ever as we go through this process.

Lastly, I am grateful for Dad. He was a good man. He loved his family. He had a firm testimony. He served his fellow men. He taught me correct principles. He taught me to laugh. He took out my splinters. He listened to me sing and supported me at my concerts. He welcomed my friends into our home. He worked hard to give us nice things and take us fun places then he stressed about traveling! He taught me about knots. He taught me to love our family history. He couldn't stand to teach me to drive a stick shift! He worried more about me than the car after I got in an accident. He was a great support to the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. He helped wire my house. He danced with me in the kitchen. He was my dad and I will miss him.

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

That was beautiful, Kelly. It made me cry all over again :)

We sure love you and your wonderful family.

Brenny said...

That was wonderful. It made me cry again, too. This tribute, and all the tributes given on Saturday were beautiful. Darren and I thought it was so cool that Irvine wrote a talk for his funeral! We thought it was neat and very special to hear his words. We sure love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I've noticed an alarming trend with you and your husband of swearing during your funeral talks, but I guess it's kind of cute you two are so much alike.