Saturday, March 15, 2008

What a week!

This was one of those weeks when you are so very amazed that you survived!

1. Dad is home! We had a rough week at the hospital. On Tuesday Dad's oxygen levels were not improving and he was becoming more and more despondent and depressed. We were very worried about him! On Wednesday morning they did some more tests and we got the horrible news that he has multiple blood clots in his legs and multiple blood clots in his lungs. We were appalled and terrified. No wonder he can't get enough oxygen. There is nothing more that they could do to break up the clots other than keep giving him the medicine that he was already taking. We decided that we (meaning Mom) could give him the medicines he needed at home so we finally brought him home on Thursday afternoon. He is so much happier and so are we. Hospitals are not fun places. He has been able to see his kids, some grandkids and the dogs (Hope and Walter). He has seen neighbors and friends and been able to visit with some of his brothers. We don't know what the future holds but at least he is home and happy!

2. 13 years! Dave and I have been married 13 years on the 16th! Where has the time gone? I had no idea at the time what a great husband and father Dave would become! I couldn't do this life without him!
  1. He always helps out (in fact this week he did it all with no help from me!) with laundry, cooking, shopping, and cleaning.
  2. He wrestles with the boys so I don't have to!
  3. He makes me laugh sometimes even against my will.
  4. He would do anything to make me happy.
  5. He is a great provider and a hard worker.
  6. He is still a good kisser. Much to the distress of the boys.
  7. He enjoys serving others. He tries hard to choose the right. (He did choose me after all)
  8. He has a great smile and it always makes me happy when I can get him to smile!
  9. He is always willing to say he is sorry. He is also very quick to forgive.
  10. He is my best friend. The person I want to talk to first. The person who I want to remember the joke for. The person who will have empathy even when he doesn't understand what I am talking about. The person who would never laugh at me unless he was supposed to be laughing. The person who would sacrifice almost everything for me. I am so lucky!

3. Sports for kids! I know there are many arguments pro and con for putting kids in sports but I must admit that I am a fan. They learn about winning and losing and being a good sport regardless. They learn about practicing, working hard, listening to a coach and ignoring the crowd. They learn about having good days and bad days, about playing for the good of the team and if that is not enough they come home tired and ready to sleep! So here we are ending basket ball and starting baseball and soccer. What fun!

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

Wow! 13 years! That's great, congratulations. I just talked with Alli and got an update on Irv, too, so thanks for keeping us all posted.

Brenny said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved the list you made for Dave -- very cool. My favorite was that Dave will wrestle with the boys so you don't have to. I can't wait to have kids so Darren will have someone to wrestle with besides the dog. :) I'm a fan of kids playing sports, too.

Thanks for the update on your dad. I'm glad he is home!