Monday, March 24, 2008

Spring Break Rollins Style!

Well, we are back!

We had a shaky start as we travelled to Winnemucca and checked into the hotel only to discover that Alex had a horrible fever, swollen glands and a sore throat. I was sure he had strep as it has been going around our neighborhood! What a mess. Lucky for me I had brought some Tylenol so we got him comfortable enough to sleep. Needless to say the first thing we did in California was take him to an Urgent Care! I was shocked to find that though he might have strep his throat woes were nothing compared to his horrible ear infection. Once again showing the medical world that I am indeed the Worlds Worst Mother! Sara and I had spent our time in the waiting room talking about how we need a Dr. in the family if for no other reason than to check for ear infections! Both of us have had the experience of 1) taking the screaming child in and having no infection and 2) taking the child in for a well-child checkup and being told that he/she has a double ear infection! So 10 minutes later I have another "I swear he never even mentioned his ear was hurting" moment! Sometimes I tell you I feel like I need to have my child fill out one of those medical questionnaires before I take him in to the doctor. Do you have a history of ear pain? Does this area hurt? How about this one? I also think I should swear him in before questioning him because he tells me his neck is killing him, which I reported to the doctor but when she asks him he says... Nope it doesn't hurt! It is all a plot to make me look like the WWM! He acutally didn't get better until Saturday night, Sunday morning. Until that point he couldn't walk and if he did he hunched over to the side and kept one hand up by his chest and the other on his head. He looked like a little special child! It was hilarious.
We had the best time with Brad,Sara, Alli and of course Adam, Emma and Ethan! Sara is a brilliant hostess and it is amazing to me that even in the middle of the chaos of remodeling the entire house it is still something you would see in the Pottery Barn catalog! Their house was great before and it will be absolutely amazing when they sell it!

Friday we spent a Very, Very, VERY full day in San Francisco and wore the boys right out! We did Fisherman's Wharf, (complete with clam chowder), the cable car, Chinatown, Ghirardelli Square, the Aquarium and even saw Lombard Street although by this time it was dark!

By far my favorite thing that we did was go to pier 45 and check out the WWII Submarine and the WWII Merchant Vessel. We spent 2 hours touring through those with the boys and talking about what their Great-grandfathers did in the Navy and seeing how they may have lived! It was so cool!






Saturday was Adam's baptism. It was beautiful! There is something to be said for living in a small ward! Adam was the only baptism on that day and all the talks and stories and slides shows were directed right to him. Adam inherited a bit of his fathers fashion sense and was a bit mortified by the white jumper that he was supposed to wear. His desire to be baptized won out and after seeing his own dad in an equally attractive (not to mentioned a bit hiked up on his backside) outfit the baptism program commenced. Alli gave a great talk on baptism and the importance of the gate he was opening that day. Sara had put together a wonderful slide show about Adam and then Brad baptized him. We sang songs as we waited for Brad and Adam to get dressed in their far more stylish outfits and join us again. I then gave a talk on the gift of the Holy Ghost with help from both Josh and Aaron. They told Adam what they have felt like when they fell the Holy Ghost. Then Brad confirmed him. What a glorious day for Brad, Sara, Adam and the rest of the family. We were so glad that we were there. That day alone made the entire trip worth it!

After the after baptism celebration we loaded up everyone this time and went across the Golden Gate bridge (cool) to Muir Woods (awesome). They aren't as big as the giant redwoods (or so I am told) but they fit the bill as far as I was concerned! It was incredible! The world in all it's variety is such a beautiful place. After our hike we took the 1 up the coast a ways to Stinson Beach! The scenery there was breathtaking! I love to see the waves crash up on the rocks and see the ocean stretch out forever. The sun was going down and it was so wonderful. We got out and ran in the FREEZING cold water for a few minutes which was great for some good laughs and many squeals!




Sunday we had a great Easter and thank goodness the Easter Bunny found my boys all the way in Suunyvale! Who knew bunnies were so smart? We went to church and my boys experienced the joy of going to Sara's primary!

We loved the chance to just sit and chat with the family! We love our Rencher cousins and the aunts and uncle that they live with!

No comments: