Monday, November 30, 2009

Tis the Season

I love Christmas music! I love to listen to Christmas music. (but only after Thanksgiving!) I think "Breath of Heaven" is my favorite today. I love to debate with my argumentative brother-in-law about "Mary, Did You Know?" He says of course she knew. I think she only knew some of what her son would do not all of it. What say ye?Even more than listening to it I love to sing it! I think it stems back to the good ole' Viewmont Madrigal days when we had a singing gig almost every day between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We started with singing at the Tabernacle for the "Lighting of Temple Square" night and did everything from big concerts and mall visits to ward programs and family Christmas parties. I bet if I had to I could still sing the parts and do the choreography for "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"! Teddy bear kick line and all!

Last night I was able to go to a Messiah sing in where my mom's choir was performing. It was absolutely thrilling to sing those songs again. It was also fun to also attend a concert for my mom after she attended hundreds for her children through the years. I think she probably had the Hallelujah Chorus memorized just from hearing it soooo many times! I love the story about Handel where he was given the compliment that his "Messiah" was "noble entertainment" He replied "I should be sorry if I only entertained them; I wished to make them better."
Last year I was able to go to the Mormon Tabernacle concert with Brian Stokes Mitchell and Edward Herrmann. When Edward Herrmann told the story behind "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" and then the choir sang it. Oh my heart. I was was crying so hard I was almost sobbing. It was a healing cry however. Filled with memories of my dad my heart was aching and the music helped wash away some of the sad and hurt and fill it with hope and peace. Music can do that.

So don't be shocked when you pass by me in my car and I have the music blaring to Harry Connick singing "Happy Ho Ho Ho to You" or good ole Karen Carpenter or the Bare Naked Ladies. It will pass soon enough. So what is your current must listen to Christmas song. I really wanna know.

4 comments:

Melody Wright said...

Kelli!!! Yay for Christmas music! Our favorite one to listen to when putting up the Christmas decorations is Harry Connick Jr's Sleigh Ride. My kids like the part where he goes "POP, POP, POP". And we love the Polar Express soundtrack, But for the quiet kind of Christmas feeling, Breath of Heaven and O HOLY NIGHT are what my heart needs. love that you found me!!!!!

Angie said...

You're gorgeous. I did not know that you were a madrigals singer! Kelli's talents are many and varied. Merry Christmas!

TexasBoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
krissy said...

I just have to tell you that I love you! Your blog makes me smile and just plain happy! Have a wonderful Christmas!