Monday, May 18, 2009

A distant memory...

Having an evening free is a distant and very pleasant memory. Remember those winter days where everythings was completed early enough that I could relax in a hot tub with bubbles and a good book? Yeah, I can't remember that either.
These days at 4:00 sharp, life becomes a scene of barely controlled chaos. The door opens, backpacks flying, homework and school papers are spread all over my clean floor, my clean counters and my straightened couches. Piano songs are practiced quickly and suprisingly without tears these days. The kids take turns reading to me or I quiz them on spelling words while they fix themselves a light snack which basically adds a 4th meal to their day. Seriously. Sandwiches, apples, carrots, grapes, fruit snacks, pretzels, crackers, cheese sticks... the walk home must make them ravenous.
While these things are going on around me I am busily figuring out who goes where and how I will fit it all in. I am starting to wonder how much longer until Dave gets home because I realize 1 driver can not possibly do this evening.
Sometimes, believe it or not, I will actually look at the color coded calendar in advance and realize that 2 drivers are not enough to take 5 kids plus the 3 in the La Crosse car pool to 4 different locations at exactly the same time! Call for reinforcements. "MOM!!! I need you! And your vehicle. Both of your vehicles actually."
Ok, Mom here is the plan. I will take #5 to #1's track meet. #5 just got up from his nap so he will be happy for a while!
Josh is the short guy in the red. Here not in front. Here in front. Go Josh!
Than I need you to wait for #2,#3, and #4 to get home from school and then immediately take #2 to gymnastics while #3 and #4 start their homework. when you get back take #4 to his soccer game. Dave will go there to watch. Go Yellow Rockets! Then take #3 to his baseball game. YAY Nationals! (never heard of them by the way!)This picture was taken right after he hit his first ever Grand Slam! I missed it.
After #4's soccer game I will have Dave pick up #2 after gymnastics and take #4 to his baseball game. Go Red Sox! You will then take #3 to his soccer game. Run Gold Eagles! (one of these pictures was snapped as he kicked a goal but I don't know which one)I will keep number #5 who by this point can't stand to watch any more games! I will take #1 to La Crosse practice and then Dave can pick him up after #4's soccer game. After #3's game you can take him to the church and I will pick up #2 from Dave where he has been very helpful in entertaining #5 and we will meet you there for #2's Arrow of Light Ceremony and #3's pack meeting. Congrats Aaron on getting your Arrow of Light! Lighting your kerchief on fire was awesome! Do I have #5 or do you? oh I have #5! Eventually we will all meet up at the house and finish homework and practicing and get a bit of peace before bed. Wait. What? The boys want dinner?
Good grief.
Dinner.
Sigh.

10 comments:

Sheri said...

That sounds alot like my Monday's and Wed.! I have 4 kids with baseball games that often start at the same time or half hour difference. The only difference is that I am the only driver!! So instead of really ever watching a game... I am driving, dropping off and returning to watch 15 min - or so and thenoff to get the next one!! My #5 gets tired of being the taxi drivers side kick!! It's crazy, but we signed up for it I guess!!

Brenny said...

Color coding. A girl after my own heart. Will it get any better this summer, or does the craziness explode exponentially?

Jacqui said...

Wow. Really? Is it always that crazy? Well done keeping it all together. I'm that you understand all the ins and outs of your schedule because I was totally lost.

Unknown said...

Kelli I love how you number your kids! Kelli you are an amazing mom and they are so lucky to have you!! I will never complain any more about being too busy to go into the frame shop or anywhere!

Angie said...

You need at least one under-achiever. You know, the kid who just wants to sit at home and play video games.

Talena said...

Wow, your life is busy! I got tired just reading your post. You go girl!

Haley and Mitch said...

I need a nap after reading that. You are my hero, Kelli.

Caroline said...

Just wait till you're the grandma and each of your 1-5 have 1-5 of their own! I thought our schedule was nutso with only two on the move.

Todd and Melissa said...

Wow! I'm super tired all of a sudden . . .

Kim said...

I almost hate to say this but just can't help myself. You just wait. It gets better. Give it about 3 more years...maybe more, maybe less. But when it is all said and done, you do finally fall in to bed with an amazing sense of accomplishment. "Wow! I did it! I made it through the day!" And if your lucky, you didn't leave anyone behind. :)