Monday, July 20, 2009

Down Memory Lane at Paradise Bakery

Several months ago I wrote about what a tough time I had deciding which college to attend. Today I had a delightful lunch with 2 of the people whose friendship reconfirms in my mind that I made the right decision. Back in the early 90's I saw these 2 everyday and sometimes twice a day! They haven't changed too much except Denice now has short hair and Angela's is long. The three of us plus seven others were called to be Executive Officers in the Upsilon Lambda Delta Sigma Sorority. We preferred "Execs". Here is a chart so you don't get lost (I love charts). For 1 year we were in charge of organizing events for about 600-800 University of Utah Co-eds. We worked very, very hard for those months planning Rush, firesides, dances, service projects, parties and more but in between the stress we laughed, teased, played, cried, talked and had a fantastic time being college gals!
Shopping for a few hundred with Jenn and Denice. Fun. And good training for shopping for 5 boys!
All of us were given nicknames by Angela or Anhela. I was Kay-ye. Don't ask me why. Ask Angela. There was also Denicky, Ho, Shoelster, Lawa, Hen, Heeder, and so on. I am amazed I remember that many.
It is a bit of a tricky situation to be an Exec because we are called from our "home" chapter to work with 9 girls from the other chapters. We didn't know each other and we had to rely on each other to do what we were called to do and try to become friends while still planning and carrying out the events. It could have made for an uncomfortable year but it ended up being a fantastic one instead. One memory stands out in my mind that happened right after we were put into office. We were at an LDSSA convention with several other universities up at USU. We had a lot of responsibilities that we were taking care of and all of a sudden we were told 30 minutes before show time that we were in charge of a skit to introduce all of the University of Utah chapters in front of all these other schools. crap. Well we did it. We pulled together a fun, short skit complete with song and dance to introduce our chapters. I remember thinking after that skit that we would do just fine, come what may.
It was quite a learning experience working in that capacity. I had no idea the drama and chaos that can reign when working with that large of a group. Take for instance the fall dance.
A Casual Dance
For years the Lambda Delt officers had done 2 large dances a year. Both Formal. Well we decided that it would be fun to do at least one of the dances casual. Good idea, no? Well apparently it was the most controversial and confusing thing that had ever happened in these girls lives. We had to actually go to 10 different chapter meetings and define casual for them. We had to dress up in a variety of outfits and show them what was acceptable and what was not. We had to reassure them that they could indeed dress for, attend AND enjoy a casual dance. I am sure that it is still living in infamy in the institute as "The Casual DanceDilemma of 1990"! The things that we learned in our different callings changed our lives. For example Jen was in school learning to be and already working as an accountant. She was our treasurer. Now she is a hair stylist. I think trying to maintain a budget for us and train and help 10 chapter treasurers killed the accountant bug for her! Angela is now a high school history teacher and she proceeded to tell me that after a year as the communications officer and doing countless bulletin boards that she will not do them in her classroom. She hates bulletin boards. Here is one that she did and I wish we had a closeup. It is a hundred little cut out people participating in an epic battle. It was a ton of work no wonder she still has a bit of burnout. See? changed her life. Here she is playing a practical joke on me pretending she and Steve were engaged. They even kissed. Ewww. It freaked me out.
It was great to reminisce with these friends about Spring Break (John Carlyle was the 3rd boy Angela) and Disneyland trips and sleeping in the office because it was just ridiculous to go home and then turn around an hour later to come back. It was great to hear what they have been doing lately and to realize that although I don't see them twice a day or even twice a year that I still consider them great friends and my life is better because of them.

8 comments:

Haley and Mitch said...

I love how involved you were with everything. You are awesome, Kelli! You are still the planner of the Rencher family.. Thank heavens!

Jacqui said...

In the posed photo with the matching sweaters...have you noticed that everyone had the same hairstyle except the one on the end? love it!

Brenny said...

Fun walk down memory lane. I loved the story of the casual dance and had fun imagining the appropriate casual and inappropriate casual attire you modeled. :)

denice said...

Thanks Kelli! I haven't looked at pics from that time for many years. I am laughing about Ang & me with opposite hair now. I kept mine long until I got married. I wonder if she's going to do the same. Now I'm really laughing - she'll be so mad reading that! I hope you two stayed a long time and caught up more. See you in Aug for breakfast!

Angie said...

What fun!

I can totally see you being in charge of all of that stuff. You definitely have a natural ability.

Sheri said...

Sometimes you make me wish I could have been more 'settled' for lack of a better word - at that time in my life. You were always so involved and doing what it seemed you were meant to do, while I was trying to figure out what to do period! (I know I was too worried about getting married - so silly now!!} Anyway, I love to see it through you and hope to help my own girls be more like you and a lot less like me at that age!!

krissy said...

Kelli,
How fun! So many memories, some of the best times of my life! Thanks for sharing! Love ya gal!

Marilee said...

I hated it when you were an exec. I didn't get to see you much!