Monday, March 28, 2011

I Wish!

You know how some webmail services will provide a list of those in your contacts who are currently online to "Chat". You know... it will say "Andrew Rcncher is available to chat" and you can type in" Hey Andrew!" and then sit there for about 15 minutes while he figures out how the computer knows his name and why it is now trying to talk to him and eventually just calls you on your phone to reply.

So a few days ago I was checking my email and up pops "Irv Rencher is available to chat." And I have to admit that for 1/100th of a second I celebrated. Then I realized that Mom still uses their joint email so it really wasn't a message from Heaven. But for that split second I had hundreds of things to say.

  • Hey Dad! Are you there?
  • I miss you.
  • How is Heaven?
  • Joe lost a balloon the other day. As it floated heavenward he said through his tears "At least Grandpa will have a fun thing to play with." Did you get the balloon?
  • BYU lost. Do you care anymore or is that so "before death"?
  • So do you see Grandma and Grandpa Rencher a lot? Say howdy from me.
  • How was the reunion between Uncle Horace and John? I bet that was sweet!
  • Are you happy?
  • Do you know that I think you were a great dad?
  • Your sons miss you very much. They don't like to talk about it though.
  • Dad, I am sorry I tried to send you on a guilt trip the last time we talked. I just wanted you to get better. Will you forgive me?
  • Are you on Facebook? It would be nice if you were. Just post an update now and then.
  • Your grandsons are getting so big. Keep an eye on them will you. I worry.
  • Could you tell me one thing that you love about me? Like you used to on my birthday. If you want to tell me a few I won't mind.
  • You married an amazing woman. Thank you for agreeing to leave her with us for another 40 years.
  • I smelled sawdust the other day and thought of you. I love that smell.
  • Thank you for teaching me that is ok to laugh at myself. And also how to change a tire.
  • I love you.
  • I miss you, Dad.

13 comments:

Robin Fisher said...

awesome post! Totally made me cry.

Jacqui said...

Sniff, sniff. My heart skipped a beat when I read that too.

Todd and Melissa said...

Oh Kelli! I wish too!!!

Sheri said...

Oh Kell!! Hugs to you!! Wouldn't that bring a whole new dimension to facebook!! If only we could chat with them!! So many great memories of him - your family seems to be doing well and I am sure he is so proud of all of you!!

Denice said...

Amen sister.

Connie said...

You were lucky to have such a great relationship with your dad. Very well expressed♥ I needed a good cry.

A. said...

Guess I shouldn't have read this during treatment team. My co-workers will just have to wonder :)

Unknown said...

Love this post. It made me think about when my grandpa died last year and it suggested him as a friend to me on Facebook. I added him hoping I would get accepted. Too bad there isn't FB in heaven!

Miss seeing ya Kelli!

Brenny said...

Very cool.

Brenny said...

Very cool.

Nee said...

Oh Kelli,
What a sweet and tender post. It made me teary for you and for us all. I wonder how good ole "Irvy" is doing also.
You are a great daughter and mom.
Miss seeing all of your family as much as we used to.
Aunt Nee

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Love this post. So sweet; thanks for sharing this with us all.

Susan said...

Oh man Kelli, I stumbled upon your blog and you made me cry, thanks a lot. :)