Friday, October 9, 2009

MIL

Dear Future Daughter in Law,

Hi. This is me. Your mother-in-law. I have been thinking a lot about you lately. A mom with 5 sons will be prone to do that from time to time. I have many to things to tell you but I will take my time. Since I have a good 12-22 years. And I am not flexible on those dates by the way.
So the first item of business is this...
I am sorry.
I tried.
I really did er, do.
Your husband was taught several million times how to ... do dishes, put his clothes away, clean a bathroom, not burp at the table, take out the garbage, put stuff back after using it and to put the seat down. Really. He is being taught. REPEATEDLY. I hope some of it sinks in before I turn him over to you.
But if for some crazy reason it doesn't do not curse my name or ever think that I was a lazy mother or any of those other thoughts you will have about me.
If you can't help but think you would have done things so much better then I will gladly sit back and watch and learn as you raise my 5 fine grandsons that I will pray for you to have.
I love you dearly.
More later,
MIL

9 comments:

Jacqui said...

I have complete confidence that your 5 boys (and my 3) will remember these lessons when they live with roommates at college or companions on their missions whose mothers actually didn't teach them those lessons and live much more slovenly. That's all it took for me--one gross, untidy roommate and I became a little neurotic about cleanliness.

Sheri said...

I so get where you are coming from! I have joked that I will give all my DIL's a certificate of purchase with a no retun policy!!

Unknown said...

First of all Kelli, anyone that gets you as a MIL is so lucky, I wish you were my mil, and dont worry you are doing a great job in raising those boys, don't worry!

Nee said...

My baby boys are 18 and 24 and I still say the same things to them. "I don't want your wife to think that I was an awful mother and didn't teach you any manners."
So I totally get where you're coming from......and agree completely!!!!
Aunt Nee

Teacher Preacher said...

You are a writer Kelli and besides that you are a great mother to five very smart and handsome young men who are learning correct principles so that they can govern themselves with the help of your future daughter-in-laws.

Love you, Mom

N8 said...

You should probably be more worried that they are going to treat you, like you treat your MIL. (how'd you come up with 25?)

cbleeflang said...

I love to read your blog. You write about such great basic topics-- in funny and touching ways. I think you and your family are great.

Todd and Melissa said...

You're so funny. My MIL apologizes to me all along. She says she did her best, but couldn't really fix what her 5 boys inherited from their dad! So, you can always blame Dave! :)

Caroline said...

LOl Kelli! I KNOW how my husband was raised, and yet he still has many annoying habits related to the Y chromosome. But he makes up for it in other ways. I can only hope my boys turn out as good as their dad!